Friday, June 24, 2022

6/24/22 Flight test squawk work notes

 The Pegasus throttle cable I have hasn't smoothed out and feels like it has detents in it.  I'd rather have a buttery smooth throttle.  I ordered a new throttle cable from Cablecraft @ 96" total length, 10/32 ends, 3" travel, push-pull.   They estimate 2 days to have the assembly made for $103.  A local assembler is  HYDRADYNE LLC at 817  786-2100 15050 FAA Blvd. Fort Worth  They'll call when it's ready to pick up.   At 96", this gives enough length for a hump in the cable at the hell hole area to allow removal of the deck that some of the electronics mount on without having to disconnect the cable.  The aluminum fuel lines were routed similarly.

The NACA diffuser in the bottom cowl has a droop in the center that impedes airflow.   I marked it with a Sharpie and cut the flange loose that mates against the firewall.  It also looks like the clearance notch for the throttle at the end of the diffuser is making contact with the throttle cable so will be enlarged.

The right roll issue may be as simple as the aileron rigging.  When I clamp the left aileron to neutral, the inboard trailing edge of the right aileron is up .05".  I adjusted the left wing aileron rod one turn shorter (outboard the #1 & 3 cylinders) to bring the right aileron down.

I recalibrated the Auto Pilot.  There's an in flight calibration procedure available on Dynon's web site.   I had used the settings that Nick Ugolini provided.

The NAV light switch (which only provides a ground to the VPX) seems to be flakey.   I'll shoot some LPS3 into it and replace it if it doesn't operate consistently.   I can turn it on via the Dynon VPX software if needed.

On the GoPro videos I posted, I noticed alternator whine is audible.  I moved the audio adapter to the copilot port so the Dynon warnings would be audible in the recordings.  Probably need a filter on the audio panel's power or at the VPX .  An easy location for a filter would be under the pilot's thigh rest where my engine/essential buss is located.

The left rudder wants to deploy a tiny amount, caused by some epoxy and paint under the hinge mounting areas so I'll pull it off and make it perfect.  

The IP cover is white and reflects on the inside of the canopy, so needs to be a grey or dark matte.  Ugh...in the Texas summer sun, this will make a lot of heat.  I could just remove it while testing.

Fuel flow - using simple math, the 1.5 hour flight averaged 8.5 gallons/hour.  I'll adjust the pulses per gallon on the Dynon EMS settings from default.

ELT - I didn't arm the ELT on the first flight since I was at the field and obviously, no passengers on board during Phase I testing.  Now that I'm venturing out to sparsely populated areas, it is now armed (and has been registered).

The right wheel bearing had slung some grease as well as the nose wheel.  I cleaned it off.  I also ordered some Vans axle nuts to facilitate mounting the wheel pants.

There is still exhaust residue on the prop so think it needs to be reclocked again.  The prop is almost horizontal when the engine stops now.  Now if I can just remember where I had clocked it the last time.

One of these tests, I need to see if the Nav/Com can pick up a VOR to validate that the "double bazooka" antenna works.



No comments:

Post a Comment