Saturday, August 13, 2022

Tire bead balancing

 I've used ceramic tire balancing beads for years on my motorcycle and other vehicles.  I think they may help reduce nose wheel shimmy on the Cozy too.  There's a chart here for different sized tires and ounces of beads required for balancing.  I recall seeing where someone  made a dynamic prop balancer using beads but am unable to find the post now.  A post on the Vans forum confirmed that others are using beads and specified they had only used 1/2 .oz per tire to stop a shimmy.

https://innovativebalancing.com/trailerchart.htm


Update. I tried to install beads, but the beads clogged up in the valve stem.  I tried to use small gauge safety wire to help free the beads up and when I pulled it out, it had what looked like molybdenum grease on the wire.   

**Another update....I bought a new tube and cut the old tube open that I'd put the beads in and found the inside is coated with powder.  Apparently the inside of the valve stem is coated with something to prevent corrosion.   So if you can get the beads through the valve stem, they should work fine.  There was minimal clumping of beads that I was able to get through the stem.  I dumped them into a bowl and will get a photo of them posted.   I ended up buying new tires and tubes since the date on the tube is 2013 (almost 10 years old).  


No comments:

Post a Comment