Monday, October 16, 2023

10/16/2023 Maintenance/tweaks

 My last BFR was almost a couple years ago so contacted the CFI that helped me acquire my PPL ten years ago.   I texted him and said I was due a flight review, owed him a ride in the Cozy and asked if he'd be willing to do it in my plane.  He replied "F*** YEAH!"   lol    So we're planning on a trip to Galveston for lunch at Landry's on Thursday.  He looked at the map of where I'd flown...."You flew to Oshkosh?!"  ...and Kentucky and Alabama and Nebraska....

The ARINC429 module hasn't come on line the last couple of times the avionics were powered up so I got an RMA number and boxed the unit up for repair.

The prop had a ding in it about where the Catto sticker is.  I mixed up some 5 minute JB Weld, filled it and sanded it.  Made a mental note to order a spare since it sounds like lead time is months.  I'll probably get one without the nickel leading edge next time.

It took a couple days with interruptions but finally made some patterns for the seat foam.  My neighbor had some upholstery work done and recommended a local business.  He stopped by, took some photos and had some recommendations so he'll get me a quote.  Could be December and I'll have upholstery!  He'd asked for some photos of a finished interior so I sent him a link to Brian Deford's beautiful interior https://www.deford.com/cozy/chap_26.html

The new Dynon 16.5 manual has quite a bit of more detailed info so I spent part of the afternoon and evening reading the manual and punching buttons.   I should have taken notes just to help my memory retain the info.   I'd been Easter Egging my way through the features previously so was a nice surprise that I hadn't found everything yet.  I need to look at the chapter on the Auto Pilot since that seems to be where controls seem to be somewhat ambiguous to me.  Often, I find that if I keep pushing buttons and twisting knobs, it will finally submit to my will.  Now it looks like that sometimes you do have to push a button twice or hold it for more than two seconds.  A neighbor is putting a Skyview system in a Cardinal and was quizzing me about some settings and features.  I know that some things are disabled on STC installations though.

I'm starting to plan on undertaking some of the finishing of the spar gaps etc. during the next CI in March.  It should be getting warm enough to fill/sand and paint the cosmetic areas around the wheel pants, spar gaps and chipped areas.  Probably a good time to add landing and  taxi lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment