Thursday, January 18, 2024

Cozy builder visit David Desosa

 David has been building a unique Cozy.  Apparently it was a Cozy III morphing into a Cozy IV, one of the first prototypes.   I invited him out so he could go for a ride and take a close look to see if anything I did could help him with build decisions.

We departed T67, went past Stevenville, then North to Graham for 10 gallons of fuel.  About 20 miles West of Hicks, dialed up the radio to see what runway was in use and it was quiet.  Then I radioed we were over the lake and now there was a Cessna taking off staying in the pattern, another student about 8 miles out and two Christen Eagles a ways to the North.  I fell in behind the Cessna in the pattern, the Eagles did a 360 for spacing and I think another aircraft said he was the only aircraft in the pattern.  I called that I was 1 mile final behind the student Cessna and the Christen Eagle said my audio was low.  The targets on the screen when clearing the runway showed three or four aircraft on final and a couple more out west.  Wow!  Busy!  As I was taxiing the Eagle called, "GOOD JOB EVERYBODY!"

Back in the hangar, I pulled the cowl and a screw dropped out of the bottom.  The #2 valve cover was missing one so that mystery was solved quickly. 

A few things popped up on this flight.  The ARINC module went off line, the standby network went unavailable and the fuel pressure glitched to 75 lbs. a couple of times.   The EFIS data was uploaded and will be analyzed for clues.   

I have some 15 volt TVS diodes & some capacitors ordered.  I'll install a small mylar cap across the pitch trim servo since it has generated a bit of noise on the GoPro audio.

The heater control is located where the fuel valve is usually located and is a pain to get to.  I'd like to move it to the side or instrument panel.  An alternative is to implement a servo.

The Telex headset I've used for passengers seems to not get my transmit audio when talking on the radio.  I'd suspected it was in mono mode but checked the dip switches and seems like its set for stereo now.  When we took off, we had some scratchy audio that was cleared by reseating the headset plugs.  

So the squawk list has: ARINC module/standby network alerts.  Noisy headset audio/jacks.  No pilot transmit audio to the copilot.  Move heater control.  Replace missing valve cover screw.  Check the fuel filter, pumps and regulator.  Check connections on the copilot HDX panel.

An email from Marc Zeitlin advises the nose gear clamps have been shipped.  Tracking info shows it will be here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment