Monday, March 21, 2022

Update 03/21/2022

The SDS and got it installed into the radio stack last night.  It powered up and I stepped through the menu a little and saw it has changed a little.

I put the cowls on, pushed the plane back so it's rear was sticking out of the hangar but not blocking the taxiway.  Then, chocked the wheels, set the parking brake, turned on the master and engine buss switches, waited for the EFIS to boot up, and turned on the rest of the switches except for some reason, I left the back up ECU off.

The throttle was cracked a little and as the engine cranked, I rotated the mixture knob richer and the engine fired up.  I moved the mixture back to center as the engine warmed up.   Then I noticed I hadn't powered up the back up ECU on so turned it on and the RPM picked up.  I switched the top and bottom coils on and off and found the #2 cylinder was missing.  The EGT for #2 was higher than the other cylinders.   Increasing the throttle and leaning didn't clear the fouled plug so I shut down, pulled the bottom cowl, removed the plug and sprayed it with carb cleaner.  I started the engine back up but #2 bottom plug still wasn't firing, so shut down and swapped it with #4 after shooting it again with carb cleaner and scraping the insulator.

The next run was better but apparently the plug has a carbon film on the electrode and isn't firing as hot as the other plugs.   I had to close up the hangar due to severe weather in the area.   I'll order some new plugs but will try another run tomorrow.

The AFR sensor doesn't seem to be operating properly.  With the heater/power off, reads about 10:1.  When the power is turned on , it reads around 13 for a few seconds and then jumps to 15 and as high as 17.  Rotating the mixture knob doesn't seem to affect it.


Vance Atkinson and Jerry Schneider are allegedly going to stop by in the afternoon!  I'm not worthy!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment