Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Wheel shimmy and continuing ARINC module going off line

On the task list today:

Check main wheel shimmy source...suspect when I aired the tire up recently that one of the ceramic beads kept the valve stem open and let the air out, flattening the tire and it displaced the tire bead on the rim.  I quickly aired it back up.  Anyway,  I'll jack it up, let the air out, maybe compress the side walls with clamps and then air them back up.  Probably should order new tires and tubes.  On a side note, the new nose tire and lubricated castor bearing has resulted in quieter castoring (no more groaning sounds), but the ride seems to be a bit stiffer when hitting bumps on the taxiway.  Additional note - I'd aired the mains up to 60 psi and found they probably should be at 50 psi.  I replaced one of the filtering valve stems to get the ceramic beads out of it. Update - shimmy is greatly reduced now after setting the pressure to 50 psi in the mains.

The ARINC 429 module is still going off line occasionally and a couple other anomalies at boot or take off.  I'll check power connections that were possibly overlooked (terminal strips under the pilot seat and at the VPX).  Also will see if I have any large filter capacitors in my stock to put near the connector for the transponder, suspecting dirty power is the culprit.  Additional note - found two connectors on the back of the pilot side panel each had the bottom screws loosened on the 15 pin and 37 pin connectors.  Wish these were clips instead of screws. Update - the ARINC module is now staying on line, so apparently the loose connectors on the back of the PFD were the culprit.  I also added a filter capacitor at the essential buss to reduce alternator whine/noise.

SDS had posted some notices, one of which was corrosion on aluminum coil terminals, so will check them and apply dielectric grease. - Update - Found the coil boss inserts were loose and the coil was becoming loose despite the bolts were tight.  I followed the SDS Service Bulletin instructions to resolve that.   There was no corrosion on the posts. 


Relocate pilot and copilot head set jack panels to the strakes near the control sticks.

Pilot side PTT was getting intermittent.  Emailed Tosten and he's sending a new circuit board for the PTT.

Dynon released new software version 16.6.0.10546.  I read the release notes and upgraded the system.  The pilot side panel's fans spun up when upgrading and were growling some.  The copilot side was fine. Need to check into getting new fans.  Update - noticed I was seeing a lot more ADSB targets.  Also, near RPH, saw "Partial ADS-B" which was new.

I'd replaced the bottom plugs but after flying to RPH, getting fuel, the engine still started a bit rough. I just got a new set of plugs, so changed the top plugs too and noticed that the #2 plug that I'd pulled last week didn't look the same as the other plugs, apparently because the gasket wasn't sealing good despite it was torqued to 19 ft. lbs.  

#2 top plug base indicates the gasket wasn't sealing good after the plug was reinstalled.

I found a couple other minor items that I'll address tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment