Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Balancemaster Dynamic Balancer installed. Lower cowl ramp tweaked.

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and then she told me to order it.  The Balancemaster product was purchased through Aeroperformance/Aircraft Spruce.   This continuous dynamic balancer is rather pricey but it's only a little more than what I'd be charged to for my neighbor to balance the prop once.   Three out of four reviews were good and it comes with a 100 day money back guarantee.  With tax and shipping, was over $400.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/lycengblnc1.php?clickkey=8325   

Link to Balancemasters web site:

https://www.balancemasters.com/

This is supposed to fit Lycoming engines behind the prop, in front of the ring gear.  I tried putting it on one way but didn't seem to fit quite right so flipped it around and could see that the Superior ring gear is apparently a little larger.  Based on watching Mike Arnold videos, I'm guessing that this isn't going to have much effect on airflow since the outer diameter is a bit smaller than the ring gear.   There's videos on the Balancemasters web site showing the balancer flipped the other direction, so it should be good.  Rain is forecast tomorrow so might be a couple days before I can test.



The diameter of the balancer is a bit smaller than the Superior ring gear apparently.

I torqued the Saber extension bolts to 50 ft. lbs. and safety wired them.





I tweaked on the lower baffling again.  The #1 & 3 CHT's are within 5%.  The #2 & #4 were within 10% so I added a little piece of glass to divert more air to #4.  The pour foam has made a mess of the lower cowl but I'll clean this up good and make it pretty again.



Frank Bibbee and Vance Atkinson stopped by.

No comments:

Post a Comment