Sunday, December 3, 2023

Oil Analysis Lab tests ordered/Google cloud loses user data

 I've saved samples from oil changes but hadn't had them tested yet.   Another Cozy flier had chatted with me said that he's seeing ferrous metal in his last sample.  He prepaid for 6 tests and gave me a copy of his reports.  His recent oil change included his trip to Oshkosh/wet weather, so maybe the next sample will be clear.

When I change oil, I cut the filter open and look at it in the sunlight.  Recently I'd read where another way to check for ferrous metal was to rinse the pleats out with solvent, then use a magnet to pick up metal out of the solvent so I tried that this time.  There was just a tiny amount on the magnet.   I'd been helping a friend inspect his filters on a zero time 540 and had seen the first three or so filters have glitter sized specs of metal in them and after that just pieces of carbon and once it looked like a shaving of plastic from an oil bottle.

This morning I ordered the six pack lab test package from Blackstone-labs.  I've got samples from the last four oil changes to send in.

I'd been making log entries on Google Docs with separate documents for the airframe, engine and prop but not been keeping up as well with the physical hard copy logs.  I was wondering if it was worth the time to keep hard copies up to date anymore but this week, there was a tech article disclosing that Google had "lost" users data and had to do a restore dating back to earlier 2023.  I like having access on line.   I was in Houston when Dynon announced a safety of flight issue for the Autopilot Button module with specific serial numbers.  Having that info recorded in a log book in my shop wasn't as helpful as having access to it via the Internet.  It wasn't hard to boot the system up and read the serial number from the screen either. 


Weird....I found this entry and it says, "Published 12/3/23 9:31 AM" but it doesn't seem to be.....I'll hit the publish button again....





No comments:

Post a Comment