Friday, December 1, 2023

Balancemasters and other tweaks test flight

 Audibly, I couldn't tell much difference after putting on the balancer.  However, feeling the instrument panel definitely felt like the vibration was reduced.   Any rattling sound I'm hearing is resulting from the prop, cowl & turbulence apparently.  I did see 2750 RPM before pulling the power back after taking off.  TAS briefly showed over 180 KTAS.  

The "squealer" circuit I put in to remind me to turn off the buss switch didn't activate when getting back to the hangar.  Apparently the voltage on a fully charged battery wasn't low enough for the circuit to trigger.  Looks like there's more work to do on this.  I  think I'd like a way to either temporarily silence the alarm, or improve the logic.

When I was fueling at XBP, a N16KF C150 pulled up.  Out climbed the DPE that gave me my PPL check ride ten years ago!  We chatted about what I'd been doing since then and he admired my Cozy.  He was happy and confided that so many people that got their check rides "hadn't done anything".  

Back at the hangar, I pulled the cowls off in order to change the oil.  I disconnect the lower oil line from the cooler, made a channel out of foil and drain the oil into the oil filler tube.  I've had a few people tell me that the oil drains back into the engine, but I'm getting quite a bit out of the cooler and Vance did this as well.  I drilled a couple holes in the oil filter and blew compressed air in to help the oil drain out of the filter before removing it.  I've had mixed luck doing this so will see tomorrow if the oil drained out.  -Update - there wasn't any oil mess from the oil filter.  Not sure if letting it set overnight or drilling holes in both the bottom and the side were the trick, but anyway, was nice not to have a mess.


Foil guides oil draining out of the cooler and line into the dip stick tube.



No comments:

Post a Comment