Sunday, July 24, 2022

Update 07/24/2022

 One of the squawks that was lower on the priority list was the Auto Pilot wasn't functioning well.  After correcting the right roll, it seemed better but still wasn't taking good command.  I recalled that during the airworthy inspection the DAR pointed out that I'd properly labeled the pitch trim operation but had logically reversed nose up/down.   To correct this I moved the pitch up and pitch down labels and reversed the polarity at the actuator.   What I neglected to realize that in section 18 of the Dynon installation manual, there's a trim motor calibration procedure that had been done.  The system runs the actuator and you answer what action just happened.   I ran the procedure and sure enough, the pitch control from the AP was inverted.   Easy fix.

Also, I may have mentioned this before, but I'd turned on the pitch trim scheduling feature.   Fast trim was set for 95 KIAS and below.   Slow trim was set for 150 KIAS and above.  During the last flight, the pitch trim wasn't operating like it had on earlier flights.  So I went into the settings and set fast trim for speeds below 135 KIAS and slow trim for above 150 KIAS.   Not sure what happens in that 135-150 KIAS range.  Maybe the trim doesn't work.  We'll see.

I'd had a few minor issues with the radio....or rather operator error with the Dynon radio.  If you push the flip/flop button in for more than 4 seconds, it puts the radio into dual monitor mode.  How about that!  

Hopefully, one remaining squawk I hope to address is the compass calibration.   We don't have a compass rose on our field so may go to MWL on the next flight to attempt the compass calibration.

I spent some time watching adsbexchange for traffic at OSH.  Also watched some of the cameras and listened to the North/South Towers on liveatc.net.  As usual, there was some red on the radar coming from the West.

I did more tuft testing and had chatted with Vance again.  He said he took quite a few tries to get his CHT's balanced using a variety of cuffs, scat tube etc.   He resorted to riveting aluminum in and bending it to get it tweaked and then made glass cuffs and patched the rivet holes.  He also had a servo controlled adjustable NACA lip to change the amount of air entering the cowl.   I laid up some BID, UNI and Soric to make some stock material to use for cuffs and it should be cured in the morning.

The swamp cooler I've been running in the hangar began spewing water and created a swamp near my work bench.  I grabbed a mop and a squeegee to clean up the mess and called it a night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment