Friday, July 22, 2022

Update 7/22/2022

One day was spent in comfortable air conditioning updating the engine and air fame log books.  The logs are electronic spreadsheets on line and hard copies.  It is tedious but will be nice to have this handy for looking up parts etc. 

Two flights completed yesterday (but not any test card flights), one from T67 to XBP and returned to T67.  It was hot.  My phone shut down.  OAT was a little under 100F on the ramp.

The right roll and had much improvement after increasing the bottom left wing washer 1/2 thickness.   However on take off, seemed like the nose pitched up more than it had in the past but may be attributed to having more fuel on board (30 gallons) and the pitch trim was set for pitch up.

After departing the pattern, the CHT's were still showing a delta with #3 the hottest, #1 the coolest.  I closed up more baffle seal openings.  I'd inserted some temporary pieces in the baffling for #3 and #4 to the same size opening as #1.  I chatted with Vance and will begin testing ramps or cuffs in the bottom cowl to direct more air into the hotter cylinders.

After clearing Class B, I noticed the transponder was still in STBY even though I'd changed the programming to enable AUTO.  I manually switched the transponder to AUTO from the panel and it showed it was active.  Flightaware showed the flight picked up near XBP.  The disadvantage of AUTO is that when working in the hangar, if there is no GPS signal, the transponder will go into ALT mode.  Manually switching to GROUND will keep it in GROUND.  Checking the transponder and switching to AUTO at engine start up will be added to the check list after turning on the ALT Field.  Since the system should have GPS signal it won't automatically switch to ALT until it detects air speed.

The right roll tendency squawk was replaced with an electric pitch trim squawk.   I was having to push forward on the stick and unable to initially trim it out.  I flew some of the cardinal headings at ~125 KIAS but was diverging altitude to much.   I turned back to T67, slowing and descending under Class B and continued trying to adjust the trim and suddenly the trim seemed to be working.   Later I recalled that I'd turned on the trim scheduling in the Dynon AP settings.  Now that the trim was working I decided to go to XBP for more testing and turned on the AP.   It seemed better now that the roll tendency was gone but still not functioning well.  Hmmm.   So now I remember during the airworthy inspection, the DAR noted I had properly labeled the pitch up/down but had it on the stick backwards from what pilots ordinarily do.   To correct the issue, I just flipped the power wires to the pitch servo.  The power wires come through the AP panel.  Time to look at the installation guide again since there's a pitch up/down calibration that probably needs to be redone and possibly the top hat switch to AP panel pitch wires flipped.  Later in the hangar with a power supply connected to the system the pitch trim motor was running as expected but I noticed the stick didn't feel right....it was horrible!  Then I found the power supplies wires had jammed between the elevator and fuselage.  Doh!

At XBP I did some pattern work, with a low pass, touch and go and landing for fuel.  The wind changed directions so I departed on 36 with a light crosswind from the right.  I'm noticing that with more weight, I'm flying the canard with the main wheels on the ground more.  Kind of like main wheel landings and taking off in a tailwheel.  

The radios/audio had me puzzled a little.  I think the Dynon radio standby audio was on as I was hearing traffic that wasn't selected on either radio but was one of the standby frequencies.   Will have to read the manuals some more.



No comments:

Post a Comment