Saturday, July 30, 2022

Update 7/29/2022 Fourth Test Flight

Using the check list more diligently, I manually switched the transponder to ALT before taking off to ensure ADSB tracking was available for my "safety crew".   The right panel displaying full engine gauges.

30 gallons of fuel versus 12 gallons was noticeable.    A little bit of a crosswind added to momentary concern of how much difference the last wing incidence change was going to have.  After liftoff in ground effect while the airspeed climbed, the controls were good.  The CHT's were looking good, more balanced.

The addition of another 1/2 washer has negated the right roll.  However the Auto Pilot needs more force to roll left otherwise complains of roll slip.   It was nominally functional for doing the cardinal headings and air speed calibration.

DA of 8000 was at about 5500 AGL today with an OAT in the 70's.  Much nicer here than at the surface. 

I completed the 4th flight test card - Pitot Static Calibration and need to "do the math".

 Later today the thermometer at the hangar was reading 108, then a thundershower rolled through and dropped to about 80.

The GoPro's Velcro mount came loose from the top inside of the canopy when I was on downwind for 14 @ T67 resulting in a loud pop.  At the time, I didn't know what caused the pop at the time but gently rolled left and right, pitched up and down, kicked the rudders a little and controls seemed normal, engine gauges were good.  Maybe a Bolus tape came off and went through the prop.  At least I was downwind at an airport.  I usually would do a low speed pass, go around and land but this time I was committed to land.  Apparently had jinxed myself by previously posting a video of a relatively good landing, so naturally I had a rather less than spectacular landing today.   At least the GoPro was laying on the floor in the back and failed to record it.  Everything happens for a reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment