Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Update 7/27/2022

 Post flight (1 hour) after installing lower cowl baffle aft of the NACA diffuser:

Hottest CHT after initial climb is still #3 @ 446F and coldest is no longer #1, but now is CHT4 @ 422 F.

At a DA of 10000' WOT,  hottest to coldest was #3 397, #2 392, #1 381, #4 370.   Recall that 380F is about the ideal temp for valves to not get deposits.

The Dynon LOP tool didn't write the detail I was expecting to the logs, so I'll need to do screen shots next time and possibly see if I can read it off the GoPro video.

There's still a right roll so will add another 1/2 washer and touch up the baffle and diffuser.   There was a 1/4" gap on the copilot side of the diffuser and caused a whistle.  Might be why #4 was now the coldest?  I'll make the tweaks and test again.

I changed the oil (6.5 hours) because it had gotten a bit dark.  Also drained as much as I could out of the oil cooler by taking a hose loose.  The oil screen had a small piece of red plastic that looked like came from an oil bottle.  I haven't cut the filter open yet.  I added back 8 quarts of Aeroshell 50 wt. Mineral Oil.

The transponder didn't automatically switch to VFR when I took off.  It took me a bit to realize this.  Unfortunately Flightaware only shows part of the flight after the transponder was switched to VFR.  Again.  My wife watches this to see where I am, so she gave me some feedback about it.    I also didn't raise the landing gear because I intended on watching the CHTs to determine whether to land immediately or continue testing.  I was a ways out before realizing the gear was still down.  I think I need to populate my check list with items to check when departing the pattern.

KAFW had recently reported gusts to 20 knots.  As usual, our airport is "fun" coming in on  RWY 14 over hangars and RR tracks, but my neighbor complemented my landing and sent me a video of my "squeaker" landing.  It's better to be lucky than good....  


No comments:

Post a Comment