Sunday, September 18, 2022

9/18/2022 Update

 Several more test flights were made.  I'll have to go back through notes to see what to add....

Got the engine balanced after having an prop extension insert replaced.   I wanted to reclock the prop and got 5 of the prop bolts out but one froze up and wouldn't budge.   The insert was turning in the extension.  I used a grinder and cut the head off to get the prop off.  I called Saber Mfg and Sam answered, said they could take care of me so I got down there right before lunch.  He replaced the insert and suggested that before removing the bolts to clean the threads.  I replied that I'd blown them off with an air chuck but that one still froze up.  He looked at the face of the extension and said it looked like maybe the Belleville washers were allowing the prop to flex up and down.   After some discussion he offered that I could try running with no Belleville washers, just be diligent in retorquing the prop as necessary (when the weather changes, going from one climate to another etc.   Also using wax on the prop bolt threads and reduce the dry torque value from 40 .lbs to 35 .lbs   He mentioned a few other users of Belleville washers had had the same problem with threads getting damaged.  I'm wondering if the combination of using 4 washers and a higher horsepower engine with high compression pistons is a factor.

The fuel pump had been making a growling/gravelly sound.  I replaced the filter screen and it sounds normal again.  Appears some dirt, fiberglass and tiny bits of strake foam are still finding their way to the filter.  I ordered a couple new screens for the 100 gph/40 micron filter.

I tweaked the aileron adjustment slightly to improve right roll by turning one of the rods out a turn.

Saturday, flew to RPH Graham TX for $4.80 fuel.  It was hot and bumpy.  Not many other planes on ADSB.  Wind gusting 20 knots at KAFW.

Sunday morning started Flight test 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment