Thursday, May 16, 2019

Transition Training

I went to RAFE at Covington TN and got some transition training with Ryzard and Rick.   Another fellow was preparing for his first LongEZ flight.

Speed Canard landing

The POH mentions adverse yaw.   It isn't very noticeable when doing gentle aileron changes, but the more abrupt the change, the more noticeable the yaw is.   Also, at higher speeds, the control stick forces for something like a 30 degree turn are much more significant.

As a result, at slower speeds such as on take off and final, with much less force required on the stick, it's easy to over correct.   I found that my landings were better to keep the wings level if I more actively used the rudders to stay on the centerline.

The Speed Canard has a constant speed prop and you can "drop like a rock" on base and final.   I prefer the 180 pattern rather than the standard pattern and did both with  Ryzard on the first day.

I'll plan on going back to get more proficient shortly before my first flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment