Friday, October 20, 2023

10/19/2023 Flight Review/Com 1 radio transmit noisy/garbled

 My flight review was scheduled at KFWS.  It was a blast to check off some bucket items such as having my CFI fly the plane his student built.  I advised my CFI that it's pretty typical for people to porpoise on their first take off and he did.   We flew to Fredericksburg, happened to se my neighbors logging some time in a C182, had a great lunch and flew back. I think because people are so used to Cessna type yoke forces, they're not expecting minimal control movement.  We did turns and canard stall.  He did a good job landing back at KFWS.  

When I was departing KFWS, Ground advised that the radio was garbled so I switched from Com 1 (Dynon) to the Avidyne and they said it was much better.  I suspect the mic sensitivity needs adjusted along with the mic needs to be placed closer to my mouth.   It's been about 10 years since I taxied to the East side of Spinks so had a little trouble with the taxi instructions regarding crossing and holding.  I'd left my hard copy of the airport chart in my bag in the back so pulled up the chart on Skyview and that helped a lot.

The flight from T67, transition KFTW then into KFWS space is about as busy as you can get working radios.  CTAF at Hicks, AWOS & Tower at KFTW, then AWOS, Tower and Ground at FWS in about 11 minutes in busy airspace.  A radio not working well sucks.  I've gotten used to using the Dynon.  Normally I tap on the airport, hit info, then hit the button to transfer the airport frequencies to the radio panel.   Without this, I was manually plugging the frequencies into the Avidyne.  If a flight plan is entered into the Avidyne, the frequency tab will usually have the destination airport but I haven't seen where it pulls up the ground frequency or AWOS easily.  At some point in the past, I wanted to make a placard with the local Class D tower frequencies so I'll move it up on the list of things to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment