Sunday, March 24, 2019

2019/3/24

The last week has been quite a mix of events.    Part of Saturday was spent at our local Vintage Aircraft Museum where a B24, C47, Stearman and a T6 were available for rides.

I needed to renew my renters insurance and prepare for a BFR soon.  Also checked on canard transition training.   The EAA requires $100K medical for each passenger if you give Young Eagle Rides.  Some schools/FBO's didn't require any insurance, but others required anywhere from $5K-$40K physical damage.  I've got one more agent to check with on Monday.

I did get some work done in the shop getting the engine pulled and shipped off.  Also worked on the radio cage.

The XP-382 engine was stripped of the EI/EFI, ring gear, starter, alternators, cold air sump.   Openings covered, wrapped in pallet wrap and mounted on a pallet.   The engine was picked up Tuesday.  I've gotten two quotes back out of three for an engine close to 200 hp. 

The parts going to the builder were boxed up.   












On Friday, my friend needed to change oil so we went for a short flight to warm it up.   I cut the filter open and only found a few small shiny flecks.

After pulling the engine, I decided it was time to get the vent lines up where they belonged.   I came up with this hack for bending the line without kinking it right next to the firewall.  An AN-3 bolt, nut, bushing and some washers kept the tube from kinking when bending.




















 Another neighbor asked if I wanted to ride right seat in a King Air 350 to haul some folks to Aurora IL and back.   I got this cool photo of an F35 as we were taxiing.

There were hellacious winds.  Our ground speed going North was almost 400 mph but coming back was about 300 mph.  Fort Worth ATC was very busy.

  

I helped a neighbor a little with replacing the bladders in his 182.   Some of the fuel lines were in pretty bad shape.  Looks like a good reason to use the good Aeroquip lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment