Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Chapter 23 Engine - Superior update

Monday I spoke and or emailed with Darren at Aero Sport Power,  Ross Farnham at Racetech (SDS), Nichole at Catto, and Bill Ross at Superior Air Parts.

Bill called me back and gave a lengthy explanation of the crankshaft/timing issue.  They'd buy back my engine at invoice plus $2K for labor.  He needed the serial number of the engine and discussed some alternative engines.  Also said I could retain the accessory and case or they can resell them.
Nichole said if my replacement engine was within 10 percent of the horsepower rating of the XP-382, the prop should still match.
Ross at Racetech pointed me at the Vans forum where one of the threads is very active on the XP-382 and XP-400 issue.   I've emailed Bill at Superior back a list of questions along with copies of my invoice.

Darren at Aero Sport Power discussed a variety of options and suggest the IO-375 (basically the same engine as the Titan IO-370).   I can reuse all of the options/add ons I had with the XP-382 such as the SDS system, alternators, cold air intake, angled oil filter adapter.

I'll chat with a friend that does RV builder assist about the alternative engines.  I recall he had not been impressed with the Lycoming 390 and angle valve engines mostly because of weight, cost and clearance challenges.   The consensus around here a few years ago were the best engines with the best product support were Superior and Titan.   At this point, I'd have to agree Superior treats their customers the way they want to be treated.

I'll spend the afternoon prepping the engine for removal and crating. 




No comments:

Post a Comment